Monday, September 2, 2013

Could I be ready for the first day of school?

I did it, I got myself ready for the first day, I think.  I went to Lowes..... and then Home Depot because Lowes did not have enough white board material.  I purchased 5 sheets of 1/8" melamine type white board material and had the guys cut it for me.  The first cut was 2' off the 8' side making a 2'x 4' board and a 4' x 6' piece.  Then cut the board to two feet by cutting the 4' side in half.  Then stack all the two foot wide pieces up and cut a 3' length.  You end up with 5 white boards and a little 2'x1' piece left over for your daughters to play with.  So, I now have 25 white boards of this style and 5 magnetic wonderful ones from Costco.  30 white boards ought to be enough for me to have each class be able to keep a white board in action until the next class day.

Now to the holders.  I used a 12' length of 2"x 4" and cut it into 1.5' lengths.  Then I cut 3/4 depth slits to fit the whiteboards in.  I cut across the short way at one end and then along the long side.  I am hoping that these will hold up a whiteboard in either portrait or landscape style.  I will also be using my whiteboards as privacy boards during tests, since my classroom has tables and not desks.

I am going to attempt to import pictures here:  Please note that I am using one of the left over 2' x 1' pieces to model here.



Lastly, I purchased, and cut to various lengths, dowels and rods and the like.  I tried to make sure that the lengths I cut were doubled and quadrupled.  The plan is to ask the kids if there is any relationship between the length of the rod and its mass.  Then I will have them measure those things to see if there is in fact a relationship.  Once they have data, they can enter it into excel, or logger pro and get a fit for it.  Given that the relationship should be linear, the doubling and quadrupling should make it easy to see this pattern.  For fun, some of the dowels are oak and some are poplar.  The dimensions are exactly the same, and I cut the lengths the same.  This way, when the groups compare notes, they will have to notice that the slope difference goes beyond mere dimensions.  This should get me through until next week when my constant velocity cars arrive :)

Now, how will I learn the students names?

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I like your style!
    The student name question, however, is something I can't help you with...

    ReplyDelete