Thursday, September 5, 2013

Measurement Day

Today my plan for each class was to go through a "measurement" lab so that they can get the hang of white boarding, using excel, and "circling up."  I had dowels cut to different lengths and I asked the kids to determine if there was a relationship between the length of the rod and its mass.  We took data, made data tables and graphs.  Again, the different approaches, the difference in confidence and the speed/precision of how they worked was interesting to observe.  In LSW after a 70 minute block we had graphs, we knew there was a correlation, and we were just getting to the fact that it might be a direct relationship.  In honors, the conversation took a different turn and we had to talk about circle etiquette and being careful not to be an explainer.  In the Calc-based class, the students worked through the lab quickly and were a bit frustrated by how much I was pushing them on the meaning of each of the terms in the "linear" model that they were using.  Throughout the day, I had to stop the kids several times by saying, "OK, I see that you understand that that number is the 'y-intercept' but I was not aware we were measuring 'y' and I am not sure we clearly understand the physical meaning of the 'y-intercept' in this case."  Many of the most advanced kids were struggling to be able to explain the meaning in terms of our exercise.  I found that very interesting.  I also found it interesting that one of my students hopped right out with a "for every" statement all by himself.  Good times!

In any case, the day left me feeling inspired and happy.  It also left my mind reeling about how to debrief the lab group sorting exercise some more and what I wanted to talk about with each group tomorrow.  I have to say, if I can keep this pace up and keep the kids engaged like this, I am going to have a great year!  Now I need to cut some floor tiles, make some graph paper copies and get ready for measurement day part duex.

Not only did this day leave me more energized, but it left me buzzing about my great day, and it gave me the strength to get more work done when I got home.  Maybe I am just still riding on the summer energy high, but I would like to think that there is more to it than that.  I would like to think that, instead of teaching sapping me of all of my energy, I am actually absorbing some from the energy of the students.  I tell you, it was a great day to be sure!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading of your successful start! I think you are moving at a faster pace than I am with my sophomores. My honors class (also sophomores) has been more tentative and turn toward me to ask me direct questions to find out what I want. I am enjoying seeing them squirm. They have become so good at giving the teacher what he/she wants.

    ReplyDelete