Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The first full week... It's Hump DAY!

We spent a bit too much time on the measurement lab with stick-length and their mass.  I was surprised at how hard it was to get my students to discuss the physical implications of things like the so-called "y-intercept."  I said things like, "Oh, I wasn't aware we were measuring "y."  and they were completely thrown off guard.  Then I asked them to talk about the possible meaning of the "y-intercept."  All they had to share was that it was where it crossed the "y-axis."  No matter which kid engaged, that was as far as we were getting.  The knee jerk reaction to the "slope-intercept" form is strong with my kids, and it is clear that causing them to reflect on where the equation came from and what the meaning of the formula is will be essential to the process and to their learning.  After two days of discussion on those boards, we have moved on to more measurement labs.  They seem to be going better, but things are taking longer than anticipated.  I need longer class periods, I guess.

On another note, I am shocked at how much difficulty I am having getting certain classes to "circle up."  After my first request to circle up, I have one group that will not shift in their seat, not even a bit.  After my second request, they move their chair closer to the circle that is slowly forming.  Only after asking them how a game of "duck, duck, goose" would work with this type of circle did they actually move.  Then we still had issues because everyone was hiding behind some board or some other student.  In one class we spent easily 5 minutes just getting into a circle.  I am hoping that this is just the "beginning of school blues" but man, it certainly can take the wind out of your sails from a teacher standpoint.

All in all, modeling seems to be working well so far, but I am very concerned about the amount of time things are taking.  My wacky schedule doesn't help anything either.  I miss my honors class twice this week.  I clearly need more white boards.  30 is not enough because my honors class just used 2 for each group (that is 16) and I won't see them again until Friday.  That means my other classes have 14 boards to use for the next two days, and that clearly will not be enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment