Thursday, September 5, 2013

White board stands revisited

I just wanted to report that my 2"x4" white boards stands function in portrait mode, but not in landscape mode, they fall over.  I bought a 2"x6" last night and will be making more holders tonight.  The 2x4 worked with some 2x4 pieces and some boards, but given the inconsistency of the densities of each piece, they did not all work interchangeably.  Also, while they "worked" in landscape mode, they were in what we physics teachers might call neutral equilibrium.  If pushed one way, nothing would change, if pushed the other way, they would tip.  I am hoping that moving the COM of the base back by an inch or so, and lower by quite a bit (the 2x6 has more mass than the 2x4)  I am hopeful that this will be my last work on the holders.  I have more important things to do, but I need these holders in place.  Particularly because my room is not set up for this "circling up."  Between boards and kids, there is almost no way to follow the rules of circling up.  If I can place the boards on my tables, then there can be an inner circle of boards and an outer circle of students.  I think this will work, and given that the tables are low enough, the students can all see every board and won't be hiding.  I will keep you posted and post pictures when they are complete.  I should get a white board home for my testing, but they are a bit cumbersome to haul around, and I always have a 4 and a 6 YO in tow when I am coming to and from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment